Monday, 13 May 2013

T-Shirt project (Butterick B5215)

I found this cute little T-Shirt pattern from Butterick. Unfortunately the fabric that I ordered to make it with still has not arrived, so I decided to make it out of some fabric I already had in. One problem though - it's not stretchy.

This meant that I had to think a little out of the box. If I make it as per the pattern there's no way I'll get my head through and there's no way I'll get my arms in. So I decided to get a little creative. If I cut the back and gave it buttons that would solve the head problem. To begin with I tried the arms as per the pattern, but they really were a little snug, so I cut them and gave them a little shape.

For the back I had to make it a little wider in order to make room for a nice thick seam allowance to put the buttons in. All I did there was put the back piece 2 inches from the fold and cut down the fold.

Button holes - this was a bit of a challenge for me. I must have spent an hour in total trying to get them to work! I have a 4 step button hole option on my machine and I followed as per the instructions in my machine's manual, but every time I got past the first step the machine just got stuck sewing in the same spot, creating a massive knot in the fabric. So a little reading online, some tests with masking tape and fuseable interface and ta-da I got it! I went with the fuseable interface as the masking tape wouldn't break away neatly from the stitching.

So here's the finished product:

No comments:

Post a Comment